Happy Monday! This was meant to be a “Friday Favourites” post, but wordpress and I weren’t seeing eye-to-eye last week, so you have it Monday instead!
Welcome to the fabulous crazy end of year madness that is the Christmas season. Every year it involves spending too much money, then resolving to budget better next year, eating way too much food, then planning the diet that always starts on Monday, wrapping presents only to wait impatiently for the recipient to rip the paper open, and a lot of microseconds filled with sighs and exclamations of “where has this year gone?”.
If you are stuck for some Christmas present ideas, here are some of my favourite things that may help!
Carla has just released her third beautiful book “Chasing A Dream” and it is available at all fabulous booksellers (or online). Better yet, buy all three of her books as they are absolutely magical and guaranteed winner in the best-present-of-the-year stakes. Filled with her amazing dreamy, nostalgic, timeless photographs, and completed with her amazing prose, I pick up her books again and again and never tire of them. Carla creates and captures a magical combination of light, movement, and emotion on black and white film. Her colour work is heavenly too, but her black & white work makes me dance. Perfect for anyone who loves photography, film, travel, people, fashion, beautiful stories… pretty much everybody! Warning: They will fill you with wanderlust as you too dream of running away to Italy and France! More of her gorgeous work can be found on her blog.
“What is the difference between a good portrait and a great one?…It’s about the emotion transmitted between me and my sitter. It is found in those special moments when the world comes to a halt and all is forgotten but the electricity created by the two of us. A long time ago, I learnt that a portrait is a little bit of magic that passes between two people. It is a love affair lasting just minutes.” – Carla Coulson
2) Vivian Maier
Vivian Maier was nanny in New York and Chicago, who spent her spare hours documenting the streets where she lived. An amazing talent that was only discovered in 2007 when a Chicago real estate agent purchased a box of 30,000 her negatives. Her work is mesmerizing.
Vivian’s amazing street photography covers from 1950 – 1990s, and she left behind over 100,000 negatives which are currently being scanned and cataloged. If you are lucky enough to be in New York City at the moment, head over to the Howard Greenberg Gallery where her work is being displayed from December 15 – January 28. And if you are stuck for a present to buy me, pick a print, any print, and I will LOVE it (and you) forever! 🙂 A book of her work has also been released which can be purchased online.
My workout wardrobe is 95% Lorna Jane (the other 5% being official event t-shirts). But it’s not just my workout wardrobe, it has even spilled out into my “casual” drawer as I simply had too much of it to be contained in one drawer (and some of it is too pretty to get sweaty!). Their marketing is fantastic, their flash sales are impossible to resist, their clothing is comfy and gorgeous, and I love their inspirational t-shirts. My favourite: “I could give up chocolate, but I’m not a quitter”. Their motto Move, Nourish, Believe (MOVE your body everyday; NOURISH from the inside out & BELIEVE anything is possible.) makes exercise un-scary (totally a word) and not all intimidating and super-athletey (again, a real word).
I was even a giant dork and lined up to meet Lorna Jane and purchase her new book (thereby overcoming my deep-rooted fear that people who line up to meet celebrities somehow develop an urge to watch Home & Away and believe Today Tonight is good reporting…). So worth it – Lorna Jane was fabulously friendly and insanely gorgeous (as well as intelligent and successful). Yes I have a new girl crush. Fabulous, beautiful clothing and philosophy – go get yourself some. Warning: It is addictive.
Awesome Christmas present alert – her newly released book is fantastic. I’m onto my second read. Filled with inspiring quotes, it takes you through the Lorna Jane brand journey, and through Lorna Jane’s personal life philosophy, as well as throwing in some great recipes too.
My besties and I after finishing the Anaconda Adventure race in our gorgeous Lorna Jane green t-shirts. No, we aren’t super-athletey: out motto was “We complete, we don’t compete!” 😉
Get yourself in the Christmas spirit by listening to this very cruisy chilled out version of all the Christmas classics. Although most of the lyrics of the Christmas classics aren’t exactly applicable to the Perth summer, Zooey Deschanel’s voice is so adorable I almost believe her when she says “baby it’s cold outside.” Turn it up, and sing along 🙂
My new fragrance. It smells pretty. That’s all I have to say about that 🙂
Good luck with your present shopping, and I wish all of you an amazing Christmas! xx